CSA Week 5
This has been a week for the books. Chris is feeling a bit better and has hit the ground running on every project all at once. In preparation for our barn project, we got an excavator in. 16 hours later our farm looks pretty different. We have a lot of big decisions coming up regarding barn placement, future plans, and one really expensive retaining wall and welcome any and all input.
We have more lettuce this week, the first of the tomatoes, the first of the yellow squash, beets, scallions, swiss chard, and radishes. We also have black raspberries. This season has definitely been a mixed bag. The peas and broccoli didn't tolerate the weird weather well, so I pulled them and will replant for the fall. Late blight is looming on the horizon. While it could totally pass us by, it is much more likely that it will cut short our tomatoe season. Cucumbers should hopefully be ready by the middle of next week.
As a public service announcement, I would like to remind everyone that grease fires should be put out by smothering. If you can't get a lid over the fire, throw tons and tons of baking soda or salt on it. And when in doubt, google....Google has some pretty stellar directions.